The rise of social media in the last decade has been unprecedented with platforms like TikTok, Snapchat, Likee, and more taking the lead.
Thanks to social media, our interactions and social connection online and offline have been revolutionised. Plus, it has also improved how we stay informed and communicate. Unfortunately, social media also has its downside, and among them is security.
Having your social media hacked can seriously impact your branding and business messaging. Particularly if your account is compromised and sends out nefarious links. It can lead to a huge lack of trust that is even harder to regain. Not to mention the platforms potentially limiting your reach.
Every year, there are millions of compromised social media accounts that suffer losses like stolen identity and personal details, which may be sold on the dark web to people with criminal intent.
Here’s how to protect your accounts, and your brand:
Multiform Authentication: What is it?
In order to avoid becoming a victim of these hacks, you need to increase your security by using multiform authentication. Also known as two-step verification, two-factor authentication, or 2FA – this method uses two diverse ways to prove your identity.
Multiform authentication goes beyond logging in with a password alone – you’d have to input a code sent to your mobile via text or generated through an app.
What this means is that if someone tries to access your account with an unrecognised device, an alert will be sent to your email or your phone. In most cases, the alert will contain the location and IP address of the device trying to access your account.
Here’s how to set up multiform authentication on some of your social media accounts:
This is one of the most popular social media platforms with billions of users worldwide; hence It’s important to have 2FA set up.
Here’s how to activate multiform authentication on Facebook:
- From your account, go to Settings > Security > Login option.
- Scroll to “Use two-factor authentication” and tap “Edit.”
- Choose your preferred authentication method, then follow the prompt.
- Once you’ve selected the authentication method you like, tap “Enable.”
Follow these steps to activate 2FA on Instagram:
- On your profile page, tap “Menu” and select “Settings.”
- Next, choose Privacy > Security > Two-Factor Authentication.
- Tap the switch icon beside “Text Message.”
- If your phone number is not confirmed and linked to your account, you will have to provide one.
For you to activate 2FA on Twitter, you need to confirm your email address and phone number. These are done to help in instances where you need to recover your account.
There are 2 authentication methods on Twitter – SMS code sent through a text message and a code generated via an authentication app. To set up multiform authentication via SMS”
- Go to the top menu, tap the Profile icon > Settings > Privacy.
- Tap “Account settings” and choose “Set up login verification.”
- Read the instructions carefully then click “Start.”
- Enter your password and tap “Verify.”
- Then tap “Send code.”
- Input the verification code sent to your mobile phone then tap “Submit.”
If you have a Google account or a YouTube channel, it is imperative that you set up multiform authentication. Your YouTube account is linked to your Google account and there is every chance that it is logged in to several other websites – so you need to avoid a hack at all costs.
To set up 2FA on YouTube, here’s how to go about it:
- From your Google Account, go to the navigation panel and click “My Account.” You’ll be redirected to a new page. On this page, click on “Sign-In & security.”
- Scroll down until you locate “Signing In.” You’ll notice 2FA is “Off.”
- Next, click “2-Step Verification”.
- When the new page loads, click on “Start Setup.”
- Enter your phone number and click on “Send Code.”
- Input the verification number sent to your mobile and click “Verify.”
- If you’re using your personal computer, check the “Trust this computer” box and click “Next.”
- Finally, click on “Confirm” to finish the process.
TikTok’s multiform authentication is a little different from what other apps and websites use. TikTok will send you an access code via text message that can only be used once.
However, you have to keep in mind that it is not 2FA; neither does the code supplement your password – instead, it replaces it. With this code, you can access your TikTok account even without your password.
This method may not be the best, due to the fact that the code sent through SMS is not as reliable as it ought to be. In a situation where a malicious hacker steals your password, they still can’t log in to your account without the code from an untrusted device.
If you use other login options like Facebook or other social media sites, you won’t get a message. TikTok believes that the security protocols of these other services are enough. So make sure the social media account you’re using to log in is well-protected.
- From the main camera screen of Snapchat, locate Profile > Settings.
- Choose “Login Verification” and select “Preference” – if you prefer an authenticator app or text verification.
- After enabling 2FA on your Snapchat, you can also add trusted devices.
- In addition, you can ask for a recovery code so you’re always on the safe side in case of emergencies.
- Apart from your login info, you will need to locate the Dashboard.
- From the dashboard, locate your account menu then go to “Settings.”
- Locate “Security,” then permit “Two-Factor Authentication.”
- Input your phone number, then click “Send.”
- Enter the six-digit code sent to your mobile then click “Enable.”
- Next, you have to choose how you want to receive the authentication code – via text or the authenticator app.
Ultimately, setting up multi-form authentication can protect your business, branding, and your consumers from harm. So it’s an important step in marketing to avoid your accounts from falling into the wrong hands!
Want to learn how to optimise your presence? Watch this video: